A Brief History
Westminster was founded in 1952 when a group of ‘charter’ members out of the First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Charlotte began worshipping at the chapel of Queens College. In 1953 the Rev. Dr. Howard Chadwick was called to be Westminster’s founding pastor and the church aligned itself with the Presbyterian Church (US).
Under Dr. Chadwick’s leadership the church grew and was soon able to build the current sanctuary at the intersection of Colville and Randolph Roads. After Dr. Chadwick Westminster was served by the Rev. Dr. Eugene Poe, the Rev. Dr. Harry Philipps, the Rev. Tom Sweets, and the Rev. Andy Smith. Our current senior pastor is the Rev. Trevor Smith who began his work here on Pentecost Sunday of 2003.
Westminster’s roots then are in the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church but, as already noted, was organized as a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in the United States (often referred to as the Southern Presbyterians). In 1983 Westminster became a member congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) when the two largest branches of Presbyterians re-united. In 2013 Westminster transferred as a congregation from the PC (USA) into the Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians (ECO) – a new denominational movement of Presbyterians seeking to boldly take the Good News of the Gospel into our communities.
During the coming year (2016) Westminster will begin a major renovation of our sanctuary space. This follows the construction of our new social hall and youth space in 2006. We expect to worship in Beard Hall for most of 2015 while the sanctuary is remodeled and a chapel takes the place of the current chancel area, the balcony is removed and the direction of the seating reversed.
Over all the years of our life together, however, one constant has remained and that is the preaching of the Gospel – that God so loved the world He sent his one and only Son that whosoever believes in Him might not perish but have eternal life.